If you need temporary quarters while you are looking for a place to live, Seattle offers a variety of options. Those planning on staying in temporary housing for more than a couple of weeks should consider a sublet or short-term lease. Apartment sublets are often advertised in classifieds, particularly during the spring and summer when college students head out of town. The apartment search firms listed in the Finding a Place to Live chapter can assist you with finding a short-term lease, or see below under the Short Term Leases and Residence Hotels and Summer Only sections. For additional lodging options, and to get a packet of information on accommodations in Seattle or surrounding communities, try Seattle’s Convention and Visitors Bureau (701 Pike Street, 206-461-5800, 866-732-2695, visitseattle.org) or the Washington State Department of Tourism (800-544-1800, experiencewa.com).
Hotels and Motels
As a port city, business hub, and tourist destination, Seattle has a large number of hotels and motels offering various levels of service and facilities. In general, the least expensive motels are those along Aurora Avenue North (Highway 99) north of downtown. These lodgings come with the security risks inherent to the high crime area of Aurora. They generally are not suitable for children or for adults uncomfortable with fast-paced urban settings, and for that reason are not listed here.
The following list of hotels and motels is by no means complete. For a more comprehensive listing, check the Yellow Pages under “Hotels and Other Accommodations” or search online. For up-to-the-minute room availability in Bellevue, Kent, Lynnwood, Renton, and Seattle, call Seattle Hotel Reservations at 888-254-0637 or visit seattle-hotel-reservation.com. Hotel Hotline is another reservation service. Call 800-311-4307 or visit hotelhotline.com. AAA travel guides are a good source for hotel and motel recommendations. Free to members, their listings are useful because AAA weeds out those hotels that are not up to their standards. Quikbook is a national, discount room-reservation service that costs nothing to join. It offers reduced room rates for many hotels. For a list of cities and hotels, and information about them, call 800-789-9887 or visit quikbook.com. Other companies include Hotels.com (800-246-8357, hotels.com) and the online discount travel companies Expedia (877-787-7186, expedia.com), Orbitz (888-656-4546, orbitz.com), and Travelocity (888-872-8356, travelocity.com).
Hotel prices fluctuate, based on the season, special events, and vacancy rates. Call ahead for reservations, and be sure to ask about special discounts or business rates. Often, hotels will offer a special “Internet only” rate, so be sure to check websites before you book.
A room at one of the following hotels costs $250 or more per night.
- Alexis Hotel, 1007 1st Ave, 206-624-4844, reservations: 866-356-8894, alexishotel.com
- The Edgewater Hotel, 2411 Alaskan Way, 206-728-7000, 800-624-0670, edgewaterhotel.com
- Fairmont Olympic Hotel, 411 University St, 206-621-1700, 888-363-5022, fairmont.com/seattle
- Hotel Monaco, 1101 4th Ave, 206-621-1770, 800-715-6513, monaco-seattle.com
- Hotel Vintage Park, 1100 5th Ave, 206-624-8000, 800-853-3914, hotelvintagepark.com
- The Inn at the Market, 86 Pine St, 206-443-3600, 800-446-4484, innatthemarket.com
- Pan Pacific Hotel, 2125 Terry Ave, 206-264-8111, panpacific.com
- Red Lion Hotel on Fifth Avenue, 1415 5th Ave, 206-971-8000 or 800-325-4000, seattleredlionfifthavenue.com
- The Sorrento Hotel, 900 Madison St, 206-622-6400, 800-426-1265, hotelsorrento.com
- W Hotel Seattle, 1112 4th Ave, 206-264-6000, 877-WHOTELS, whotels.com
These hotels charge between $150 and $250 per night.
- Courtyard by Marriott, 11010 NE 8th St, 425-454-5888, marriott.com/bvudt
- Hyatt Regency Bellevue, 900 Bellevue Way NE, 425-462-1234, 800-233-1234, bellevue.hyatt.com
- Holiday Inn of Issaquah, 1801 12th NW, 425-392-6421, 888-HOLIDAY, holidayinn.com
- Comfort Inn, 12204 NE 124th St, 425-821-8300, comfortinn.com
- Courtyard by Marriott, 11215 NE 124th St, 425-602-3200, 800-321-2211, marriott.com
- Redmond Inn, 17601 Redmond Way, 425-883-4900, 800-634-8080, redmondinn.com
- Holiday Inn Renton, 1 S Grady Way, 425-226-7700, 800-860-7715, holidayinn.com
- The Arctic Club Seattle, 700 3rd Ave, 206-340-0340, 800-222-TREE, doubletree1.hilton.com
- Best Western Pioneer Square Hotel, 77 Yesler Way, 206-340-1234, 800-800-5514, pioneersquare.com
- Crowne Plaza, 1113 6th Ave, 206-464-1980, 877-227-6963, ichotelsgroup.com
- Hotel FIVE, 2200 Fifth Ave, 206-441-9785, 866-866-7977, hotelfiveseattle.com
- Mayflower Park Hotel, 405 Olive Way, 206-623-8700, 800-426-5100, mayflowerpark.com
- Renaissance Madison Hotel, 515 Madison St, 206-583-0300, 888-236-2427, renaissancehotels.com
- Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers, 1400 6th Ave, 206-621-9000, 800-325-3535, sheraton.com/seattle
- Silver Cloud Inn Lake Union, 1150 Fairview Ave N, 206-447-9500, 800-330-5812, lakeunion.scinns.com
- Silver Cloud Inn University District, 5036 25th Ave NE, 206-526-5200, 800-205-6940, scinns.com/university
- The Westin Seattle, 1900 5th Ave, 206-728-1000, 800-937-8461, starwoodhotels.com/westin
You can stay at one of these hotels for less than $150.
- Coast Bellevue Hotel, 625 116th Ave, 425-455-9444, 800-716-6199, coasthotels.com
- Hotel Sierra Bellevue, 3244 139th Ave SE, 425-747-2705, 800-474-3772, hotel-sierra.com
- Comfort Inn & Suites, 1414 228th St SE, 425-402-0900, 877-424-6423, comfortinn.com
- Holiday Inn Downtown Everett, 3105 Pine St, 425-339-2000, 888-HOLIDAY, holidayinn.com
- La Quinta Inn Everett, 12619 4th Ave W, 425-347-9099, 800-753-3757, lq.com
- Best Western Plus Evergreen Inn and Suites, 32124 25th Ave S, 253-529-4000, 800-780-7234, bestwestern.com
- Comfort Inn, 31622 Pacific Hwy S, 253-529-0101, 877-424-6423, comfortinn.com
- Comfort Inn, 22311 84th S, 253-872-2211, www.comfortinn.com
- Hawthorn Suites, 6329 S 212nd St, 253-395-3800, 800-337-0160, hawthorn.com
- Baymont Inn, 12223 NE 116th, 425-822-2300, 800-337-0550, baymontinns.com
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 19324 Alderwood Mall Pkwy, 425-771-1888, 877-771-8555, hamptonseattlenorth.com
- Best Western Loyal Inn, 2301 8th Ave, 206-682-0200, 800-780-7234, bestwestern.com
- Hotel Seattle, 315 Seneca St, 206-623-5110, 800-426-2439, thehotelseattle.com
- Inn at Queen Anne, 505 1st Ave N, 206-282-7357, 800-952-5043, innatqueenanne.com
- Travelodge Seattle Center, 200 6th Ave N, 866-446-4151, travelodgeseattlecenter.com
- Travelodge University, 4725 25th Ave NE, 206-525-4612, 888-637-4859, travelodge.com
- University Inn, 4140 Roosevelt Way NE, 206-632-5055, 866-866-7977, universityinnseattle.com
- Best Western River’s Edge, 15901 West Valley Hwy, 425-226-1812, 800-780-7234, bestwestern.com
Short-Term Leases and Residence Hotels
The following hotels and leasing companies offer full suites for rent by the day, week or month. Rooms include a kitchen or kitchenette, living room, and bedroom. Often maid service and other amenities are available.
- Aboda Corporate Housing, 425-861-0500, 888-389-0500, aboda.com
- Accommodations Plus, 425-455-2773, 800-583-1613, aplusnw.com
- Alternative Suites International, 206-860-1616, 888-900-4050, asuites.com
- Homewood Suites, 206 Western Ave W, 206-281-9393, 800-CALL-HOME, homewoodsuites1.hilton.com
- Oakwood Corporate Housing, 877-969-5142, oakwood.com
- Pacific Guest Suites, 425-454-7888, 800-962-6620, pacificguestsuites.com
- University Motel Suites, 4731 12th Ave NE, 206-522-4724, 800-522-4720, university-hotel.com
If you’re in the mood for quaint or cozy, consider a bed and breakfast. Most of Seattle’s B&Bs are outside the downtown area, so this may also be a good way to check out prospective neighborhoods. You may contact the inn directly (listed below), or try one of the local or national bed and breakfast registries. Locally, call Seattle Bed & Breakfast Association (206-547-1020, 800-348-5630, lodginginseattle.com), Bed & Breakfast Association of Suburban Seattle (www.seattlebestbandb.com), or Pacific Reservation Service (206-439-7677, 800-684-2932, seattlebedandbreakfast.com). Other sites include InnSite (www.innsite.com) and Bed and Breakfast Inns Online (www.bbonline.com).
- 11th Avenue Inn, 121 11th Ave E, 206-669-4373, 800-370-8414, 11thavenueinn.com
- Bacon Mansion, 959 Broadway E, 206-329-1864, 800-240-1864, baconmansion.com
- Chambered Nautilus Bed & Breakfast, 5005 22nd Ave NE, 206-522-2536, 800-545-8459, chamberednautilus.com
- Chelsea Station Inn, 4915 Linden Ave N, 206-547-6077, 800-400-6077, chelseastationinn.com
- Gaslight Inn, 1727 15th Ave, 206-325-3654, gaslight-inn.com
- Mildred’s Bed & Breakfast, 1202 15th Ave E, 206-325-6072, 800-327-9692, mildredsbnb.com
- 9 Cranes Inn, 5717 Palatine Ave N, 206-855-5222, 9cranesinn.com
- Sleeping Bulldog Bed & Breakfast, 816 19th Ave S, 206-325-0202, sleepingbulldog.com
- Villa Heidelberg Bed & Breakfast, 4845 45th Ave SW, 206-938-3658, 800-671-2942, villaheidelberg.com
- Wildwood Bed & Breakfast, 4518 SW Wildwood Place, 206-819-9075, 800-840-8410, wildwoodseattle.com
Hostels offer basic accommodations at low prices, but there are a few restrictions. Generally, you should expect to sleep in a shared room and use a common bathroom and shower, although some have private rooms at a higher price. Some hostels require membership in an international hostelling association, some restrict the number of nights you can stay, or limit the time that you can be in the hostel during the day. The wisest course is to call in advance to make sure that you qualify (and that you’ll be happy with the house rules).
- City Hostel Seattle, 2327 2nd Ave, 206-706-3255, 877-8HOSTEL, cityhostelseattle.com
- Green Tortoise Hostel, 105-1/2 Pike St, 206-340-1222, 888-424-6783, greentortoise.net
- Hostelling International, 520 S King St, 206-622-5443, hiusa.org
Washington Athletic Club
The Inn at the Washington Athletic Club offers hotel rooms for members of reciprocal clubs across the country, and their guests. Rates vary depending on membership status and time of year. For more information, or a list of reciprocal clubs, call 206-622-7900 or visit wac.net.
Summer housing on Seattle-area campuses is restricted to students, visiting conference attendees, and special-interest groups. If you’re looking for an apartment or rental house in which to spend the summer (which is the best time of year in Seattle), concentrate your efforts in university neighborhoods where students vacate from June to September. The University District, adjacent to the University of Washington, is a good place to start. Also consider the Fremont area near Seattle Pacific University. Short-term and seasonal housing opportunities are listed in the classifieds section of The Seattle Times (www.seattletimes.com) and in the Seattle Weekly (www.seattleweekly.com) under “Vacation/Seasonal Rentals.” Many listings for short-term housing can also be found on craiglist (http://seattle.craigslist.org) under “Sublets/Temporary” and “Vacation Rentals.”